Isaiah 60:1

Arise, shine; For your light has come! And the glory of the Lord is risen upon you.
Isaiah 60:1

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Basketball




Basketball

There are two main sports that are played here, basketball and volleyball. However volleyball is taboo for the missionaries because gambling has infiltrated the sport and we don’t want to indirectly sanction the betting by taking part in the game. Thankfully basketball is allowed and I have been playing a lot! It gives me a chance to relax, have something I am naturally good at and it helps me feel like I fit in. Also, because it is an American game many of the words are the same, “pass”, “shoot”, “out” etc, so my language vocabulary gets a little boost when I play.



The American influence is also seen even in the recognition of stars like Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan. I heard one of the “Palawono” teachers explaining that Michael Jordan was “mependey ginsan” meaning he is the “best in the world.” I was surprised that they that they even knew who these players were because we are truly in a frontier location. None of the locals have TV or access to internet and as recently as just over 15 years ago the students were unaware that there is a world that exists beyond the island of Palawan. When the Georges return to America this December they will be taking their adopted daughter Jillan. It will be the first time any Palawano has left the country.



The basketball court is dirt and the rim is rusted, but the game remains the same. The Palawono’s are athletic, and many of them dribble between their legs and can do no look passes. One thing I am learning from them is humility. When ever someone does an exceptionally good move and I compliment them, they don’t take the credit and they say “kaya” which means its nothing. The games are competitive but there is a high level of sportsmanship. Their humility is a lesson I am learning and one I hope I can retain.




No comments: