Isaiah 60:1

Arise, shine; For your light has come! And the glory of the Lord is risen upon you.
Isaiah 60:1

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Taming the Tongue



In James 3:8 we are told that, “the tongue is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. I tend to agree! I say this not because of the vile that comes out of my mouth, but because my tongue is not cooperating in the language learning process. I am learning to exercise my tongue but I often find that the sound I hear is not the sound I reproduce. Language learning for me has definitely been the most challenging aspect of being a missionary.



We are supposed to have 2 and half hours of language each day. During this time we have one on one interaction with a local and try to make sentences like “I walk to the school”, “I walk to the school with Danelle” and of course, “I like to eat.” It feels as if I have just completed my first two months of kindergarten. I have learned the A, B, K’s (a,b,c’s), some simple sentences, and how to manipulate my tongue to make the Ng sound. Because of this it feels as if I have in many ways been reduced to the status of a child, but being like a child isn’t all bad. There is joy in simplicity especially when we allow ourselves to laugh, of which language learning provides many opportunities. For example we were given a phrase book that had corresponding Palawono and English sentences. However this book is out dated and I have discovered that not all words and sentences are transferable. I found this out when I saw the phrase “your child is beautiful, so healthy.” I thought I could apply the beautiful part to Danelle. So when I came home from school one day, I said “where is my “beautiful” wife? Well it wasn’t until later that I found out the word I thought I was using as beautiful was actually the word for fat. And many times when I would come home from school I would unintentionally say “where is my fat wife.” Thankfully she didn’t know what the word meant either, and since I told her it meant beautiful she liked it when I unknowingly called her fat.



Language learning is definitely challenging but the moments of light hearted laughter takes away the intensity and makes it all seem ok. The process of learning however can be tedious, and progress at times seems non existent. I tend to agree with James 3:7,8 which says, “every kind of beast and bird, reptile and creature of the sea is tamed and has been tamed by man kind. But no man can tame the tongue. Of course James is speaking of the tongue in a spiritual way…but when I am discouraged I can’t help but feel that my ability to learn, and tame my tongue is just as hopeless. My desire and willpower is often broken…but I know that in such times the only thing I can do is submit my will to God’s power. James says no man can tame the tongue; the implication of this is… the only way the tongue can be tamed is through divine intervention. James is talking about things that are of a spiritual nature, but I am praying that this can be applied to our mission here in Palawan as well.

Please pray for us in the avenue of language learning, so we may be able to find joy despite the difficulties, and be more effective missionaries here in Palawan.

4 comments:

Joyce Wilkens said...

Yes, language learning just tires out your brain. More than any other kind of learning it seems. "God Will Give It"...a quote from a TB patient in Chad.

Kevin and Danelle McGill said...

That's an encouraging comment Joyce thanks for sharing. Language learning continues to be our biggest challenge.

Anonymous said...

Recently, I was talking to a man who went to Africa with his wife for a year. He said he struggled with learning the language the whole time he was there but his wife was able to learn really quickly. I'm rooting for your both and am very impressed with what you have already accomplished. May God continue to bless you both as you continue with your mission work. mom (Linda)

Hugh Paterson said...

Is there any social significance to when or why people stick out their tongues there?